One of the most dreaded finds is discovering fine lines and wrinkles.
This brings you to the daunting realization that overnight you have started to age. But instead of walking around depressed on that day and stuffing your body with unwanted toxins for comfort you can take control and research ways to reverse the effect of aging on your skin.
As we come to learn about this process you will soon discover that a holistic approach is key and the earlier you start the fight you will embrace the new mature, beautiful you!
It happened overnight
Actually it did not. It took years of bad habits and bad products to get you to this point. The food & drink you ate and didn’t eat, the exercise you never did and the fascination with the sun that brought you to this point. All of your addictions and now you will need to turn to nature for years of undoing.
Aging is a disease, it is inevitable and we cannot freeze the process, however we can reverse the effects it has on our skin and when that happens we instantaneously will feel more vibrant and youthful.
3 Signs your skin is aging
Those fine lines and wrinkles
According to the experts this is most common from our late 20s onward. The medical explanation is that what we know as expression lines or laugh lines happen as you age. A younger you has a more resilient skin able to bounce back to its original state after any form of expression, however the older version of yourself has less elasticity and the lines start to become more permanent even though you are not expressing anything and that is how wrinkles magically appear 🙂
There are quick fixes out there in the form of botox injections, however a more natural holistic approach is always vital for long term treatment:
- Healthy diet – we go back to good food which we know is packed with all the nutrients your body needs. We can also supplement out diet with omega – 3 fatty acids which is excellent supplement to help hydrate your skin.
- Water – this will always be an essential defense against fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sleep – this plays a crucial role in skin rejuvenation so get more than 6 hours a day and where possible take a nap during the day on your days off or free time. Pay special attention to how you sleep, when you on your back it will prevent creasing your skin as opposed to lying on your face.
- Use sunscreen daily – I think most of us are guilty of not doing this, we think only when we head off to the beach or do outdoor activity we need the sunscreen. But did you know that any exposure to sunlight requires protection regardless. Even on those overcast, grey days slap it on and wearing sunglasses will also stop you squinting and pause those wrinkles.
- Good moisturizer – daily baseline routine of cleanse, tone, moisturize is key. Concentrate on your forehead and under eye area.
- Hyaluronic acid is a key molecule that is found in our bodies and that is vital for hydration. As we age our stock of this precious ingredient is depleted rapidly so that is why we have serums and moisturisers and in some cases supplements to increase our supply.
- Egg whites – apply as a mask to tighten the skin area where you experience lines and wrinkles. Whisk an egg white with a teaspoon of honey and teaspoon of lemon juice. Apply to clean skin with a cotton pad leave on for 20 min max. Rinse off with warm water. You can apply this mixture and research variations depending on your skin type at least once a week for best results.
- Coconut or sweet almond oil – you can also use tissue oil that contains these ingredients and rub into your lines each night before bed.
- Flaxseed oil – high in omega 3 and can be used daily as part of your diet for the much-needed elasticity your skin needs.
- Start a good, clean skin care regime at an early age ( in your teens) and all the nasties can be avoided!
It may seem cute at the time when you notice you have developed freckles but make no mistake these spots are a result of non protected exposure to the sun over a period of years. These spots start to increase and discolor over time and before you know it you don’t recognize yourself any longer. But there is good news, its not cancerous and you can definitely lighten its appearance.
- Lemon essential oil – lemon is a natural skin lightener and can be used cleverly with jojoba oil to lighten those dark spots and will also help reduce wrinkles
- Apple Cider Vinegar – the acetic acid works similarly to lemon in that it lightens dark spots. You can apply a mixture of water and the vinegar with cotton pad directly to the spot and leave on for 5 min. Rinse off with luke warm water and do this twice a day for best results.
- Aloe vera – the best way is to use the gel which is readily available at all stores. Apply to the dark areas just before bed and rinse off in shower the next morning. Try to do it daily to achieve best results
- Green Tea – loaded with anti – oxidants and promotes blood circulation, as a toner it fights the effects of aging. Make the tea as usual and let it cool then apply with cotton pad on face as a toner no rinsing required. You will see over time if repeated daily, it will eventually lighten the spots and will combat wrinkles.
Loss of volume
The plumpness of our youth cannot last forever. Our bodies start to slow down the production of collagen due to aging.
Our bodies also lose hyaluronic acid which is vital to keep our skin hydrated, protected and strong.
Not only do you lose the elastin but noticeably muscle and bone. Immediately when we see our fat reduction in our faces and not on our hips its time to find collagen supplements and here are natural ways to replenish what is lost:
- Proteins – there is nothing a healthy diet cannot fix and when it comes to collagen it can be found in power packed food such as red meat, eggs, fish beans and dairy.
- Vitamin C – citrus fruits, berries, leafy greens, tomatoes
- Zinc – shellfish, nuts, whole grains
- Organic bone broth – so easy to prepare, just slow simmer in water and enjoy in a mug with a slice of whole grain bread or over your food. All the collagen is drawn out of the meat bones ready for you to be nourished.
- Include Hyaluronic acid as part of your moisturizing regime. It will keep your skin plump and youthful.
All is not lost
We know that the youthful glow of the early twenties is all but fleeting, however having wisdom when it comes to looking after your skin is priceless.
Having a holistic mindset to skin care is all you need to reverse the effects of aging.
Have your say below on your thoughts regarding this topic, I’d love to hear from you!